The existence of a natural spring has meant that there has been a succession of houses on this site since at least 1847. The remains of many of these were scattered across the site. A new wing has been added to the renovated existing house, which forms a protected courtyard with the steep embankment to the south completing the enclosure. The walls to the new wing are constructed exclusively with stones gathered from the site. Particular care was taken to frame views of the landscape with window joinery made of oiled Iroko. These windows are protected by a series of the zinc-clad canopies. The house is entered directly into a ‘day room’ which has large sliding doors onto a courtyard to the south, and to a covered timber deck to the northwest. In this way the activities of the day can capitalize on the available sunlight. The existing cottage contains an ‘evening room’ which focuses on the chimney-breast and the kitchen. Here the ceiling is clad in painted T&G boarding. The accommodation is completed by three bedrooms and a study with a concealed and protected timber-decked garden to the west. A stone floor is common throughout the house. Unpainted render completes the palate of external materials. The courtyard has a gravel floor and a wild-flower meadow has been planted on the rest of the site.