The Dominican Sisters bought the site at Taylor’s Hill, Galway in 1845 and over the last 170 years have been instrumental in developing a significant campus of educational and community facilities at this location. This new convent will replace an existing structure and provide contemporary level access accommodation for a community of 12 sisters.
The historical cloistered monastery has been interpreted here as a deep plan punctuated by two planted courtyards lighting the circulation spaces to the individual bedrooms. To the south, the day room and refectory access a broad covered external terrace overlooking new gardens and enjoying a view to Salthill below and the sea beyond. A number of important remnants of a previous convent, such as stained glass windows are incorporated into the new structure.
The roof form is a distortion of the traditional double pitched roof, twisted to allow the south-eastern and north-western corners accommodate higher room volumes to house the chapel and the library. The building is finished in white pigmented render with a weathered zinc roof.