Leipzig Zoo first opened in 1878 and is one of the oldest Zoos in Europe. The Monkey House, adjacent to the main entrance, was one of the first buildings to be completed - this is now a protected structure. In 2015-2016 HRA were commissioned to refurbish this building and re-purpose the accommodation to provide modern husbandry for koala bears. The facilities includes two display areas, an outdoor compound, as well as the visitor area & back-of-house animal husbandry rooms: . Inside the building there is now a eucalyptus forest. The solitary koalas have two separate areas at their disposal. Works to the building included reversing inappropriate previous interventions and repair of the historical masonry.